Dimensions of yoga Series
Module 1 – body, breath, energy and mind
Clarity and vitality from the Hatha Yoga tradition.
Fuelled by each participant’s own intention and commitment, grounded in a living tradition, the new Dimensions of Yoga courses support a personal journey towards yoga as a way of life.
The course residential will begin on the evening of Friday the 19th of January and finish early afternoon on the 26th, 2018.
This will be followed by 12 weeks of home practice and study. 27 Jan – 20 Apr
Concluding residential weekend at Rocklyn Ashram. 20 – 22 Apr
Fulltime immersion option:
Includes additional twelve weeks living at Rocklyn Ashram. 19 Jan – 22 Apr
Early Bird offer: $1650
Additional $1008 for 12 weeks living at Rocklyn Ashram
verses 9,10,11, Gheranda Samhita,commentary and translation by Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati, Yoga Publications Trust, Munger 2012
- It will closely follow classic practices and texts such as Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Gheranda Samhita, rarely taught in Australia, and delve into aspects of the new Hatha Yoga Conversations series.
- It will include material on prana, chakras, nadis, as well as how to make hatha yoga practice an important aspect of lifestyle.
- The course will carefully explore hatha yoga as a systematic progression, working with body, breath, energy and mind, building an understanding of how it can be used to manage a full range of life situations, and be a foundation for all other branches of yoga.
Starting simply with practices according to the capacity of each participant, this course will provide an overview of the hatha yoga practices including:
- shatkarmas (cleansing practices)
- mudras and bandhas,
- pratyahara, and creating a quieter mind, (from a hatha yoga perspective).
- There will be an emphasis on why hatha yoga is an essential set of tools for any serious yoga practitioner.
- After completing this course you will have a toolkit to take with you throughout your yogic life.
Chap 1 verse 64 Hatha Yoga Pradipika,
commentary and translation by Swami Muktibodhananda, Bihar School of Yoga , Munger, 1998
- a small amount of reading each week.
- a practical “yoga with attitude” type component, which is a matter of integrating practice into daily living.
- a tiered daily practice that will have levels of complexity and duration depending on the experience, needs, and time availability of the individual student.
- there will be recordings of pranayama practices, Yoga Nidra and meditation practices tailored specifically for this course.
- Swami Vimalratna is known internationally for his work as a yoga course developer, including the development of Yogic Studies and Teacher training courses, and as complier of the book Yoga with Attitude.
- Swami Atmamuktananda, Acharya of Rocklyn Yoga Ashram, senior yoga teacher with a unique grasp of yoga with extensive experience and skills and the ability to clearly and simply communicate the value of yoga as a way of life.
- Swami Atmamuktananda and Swami Vimalratna, with a twenty year history of working together as a team, have previously collaborated on many projects including Rocklyn’s well known Living Consciously courses and the home practice kit (book and CD) Introduction to Yoga Asana and Pranayama.
Who is it for?
- The course is for someone who either has, or intends to make, a serious commitment to yoga as a sadhana and lifestyle.
- The course will cater for a range of levels of experience.
- Yoga teachers will gain new information and perspectives as well as continuing professional development recognition from SYTA.
- Serious beginners, or those who wish to renew their commitment to practice, will have the opportunity to thrive.
- This course will delve deeper into this one branch of yoga than a general yogic studies courses, and will utilise common sense incremental options so that each practitioner can move forward at their own pace.
- It will include reflective tasks which may be seen as light assessment tasks, but these are primarly learning tasks. Having completed these tasks, and the course, there will be a certificate of completion.
- Rocklyn Yoga Ashram, near Daylesford, Victoria for the residential components.
- Either by distance for the 12 week home practice and study component
- or stay on for the 12 weeks at Rocklyn Ashram.
- The experience in the ashram will provide an additional level of support and provide unique understanding of the culture of yoga lifestyle.
About Rocklyn Yoga Ashram:
Is this a standalone course?
“Contrary to the popular belief that hatha yoga is only the practice of physical asana and nothing more, it is an important aspect of yoga. Hatha yoga is like the primary class to which you get yourself admitted before you can continue your study in higher classes. Admission to yoga takes place through hatha yoga; it does not take place through dhyana or meditation. Admittance in the yogic journey does not happen through kriya yoga or kundalini yoga.”
Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati, Yoga in Daily Life