A Dimensions of Yoga Module
- Each module includes an integrated and balanced mix of asana, pranayama, and meditation, stories and ideas, with a range of strategies for managing the challenges of being human in a way that allows our true potential to emerge.
- All aspects of this module will be grounded in the Satyananda tradition of Yoga and will draw on the classical text of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and recent commentaries on them by Swami Niranjanananda.
- The classic text on Raja Yoga by Patanjali, the Yoga Sutras, contains many concise jewels, including eight aspects of yoga that create a framework for developing a journey into sadhana. Yama and niyama, pranayama, asana, pratyahara, dharana, dhyana and samadhi are the traditional eight limbs of Raja Yoga. How these aspects may be combined and developed will inform one layer of this comprehensive course.
- The Yoga Sutras also contain many useful tools and strategies for understanding and managing the patterns of the mind (vrittis) including concepts such as the drashta, the witness, abhyasa, the power of sustained regular practice, as well as describing the nature of obstacles we tend to place in our path, and a range of powerful techniques for overcoming them.
- The Yoga Sutras are often thought of in terms of meditation and the inner journey. First steps on the inner journey quickly reveal that, in order to proceed, everything needs to be looked at holistically, whether it is yoga practice, one’s daily routine, or one’s interactions with others.
- This module explores the experience of developing sadhana, through the prism of classic texts, in the light of the Satyananda tradition of yoga, in a systematic in-depth way with a down to earth twist. This is done with the understanding that yoga is about managing one’s life and developing self understanding, steadiness and peace. When these skills are developed, any goal is possible.
Structure The approach will be highly practical unfolding over a week long residential followed by 11-12 weeks of home practice and study. It will provide tools and inspiration to transform one’s practical life and spiritual journey. This process has traditionally been referred to as sadhana, the subtle discipline of a lifestyle adopted to reach one’s deeper goals.
19th Apr to 27th Jun – home practice and study
28th to 30th Jun – concluding residential weekend at Rocklyn Ashram.
$800 deposit secures your place.
- A small amount of reading each week.
- A practical “yoga with attitude” type component, which is a matter of integrating practice into daily living.
- A tiered daily practice that will have levels of complexity and duration depending on the experience, needs, and time availability of the individual student.
- There will be recordings of pranayama practices, Yoga Nidra and meditation practices, tailored specifically for this course.
Your teachers: Swami Vimalratna is known internationally for his work as a yoga course developer, including the development of Yogic Studies and Teacher training courses, and as complier of the book Yoga with Attitude largely based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Swami Atmamuktananda, Acharya of Rocklyn Yoga Ashram, senior yoga teacher with a unique grasp of yoga with extensive experience and skills and the ability to clearly and simply communicate the value of yoga as a way of life. Swami Atmamuktananda and Swami Vimalratna, with a twenty year history of working together as a team, have previously collaborated on many projects including Rocklyn’s well known Living Consciously courses and the home practice kit (book and CD) Introduction to Yoga Asana and Pranayama.
- The course is for someone who either has, or intends to make, a serious commitment to yoga as a sadhana and lifestyle.
- The course will cater for a range of levels of experience.
- Yoga teachers will gain new information and perspectives as well as continuing professional development.
- Serious beginners, or those who wish to renew their commitment to practice, will have the opportunity to thrive.
- This course will delve deeper into this one branch of yoga than a general yogic studies courses, and will utilise common sense incremental options so that each practitioner can move forward at their own pace.
- It will include reflective tasks which may be seen as light assessment tasks, but these are primarly learning tasks. Having completed these tasks, and the module, there will be a certificate of completion.
- Rocklyn Yoga Ashram, near Daylesford, Victoria for the residential components.
- Either by distance for the 12 week home practice and study component
- or stay on for the 12 weeks at Rocklyn Ashram.
- The experience in the ashram will provide an additional level of support and provide unique understanding of the culture of yoga lifestyle.
About Rocklyn Yoga Ashram: Rocklyn is run as a traditional ashram with simple accommodation and vegetarian meals made with ingredients from the extensive vegetable garden. Time in the ashram will bring the experience of additional traditional practices such as havan (fire ceremony) and kirtan (music with mantras), and a small amount of time each day engaged in everyday ashram activities such as assisting prepare meals, cleaning, or helping in the garden. See Rocklyn Yoga Ashram’s website for further information.